On Saturday 23 March 2019 10:12:53 Lester Caine wrote:

> On 23/03/2019 13:59, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > How are you getting the gcode? Its not yet listed as an export
> > option.
>
> The path workdesk has a process much like sorting out paths on
> Vcarve/Cut2D once you have set up a job to build and sorted out
> cutters. But while I know one can select and view each set of gcode I
> forget quite how I got it onto the memory stick. And I need to
> remember as I need to get some DMSuper cases machined and need to
> change the hole for the mains connector :( The old mains assembly is
> no longer available.

Luverly. Good thing I'm not a job shop. One thing nice about LCNC,
clicking on that connectors first move in the backplot, highlights the
code line, making it easy to see where in a mass of code, that connector
exists. If its nothing but the hole size, a hand edit might be all thats
needed. But you knew that. :)  Sure helps to find that birch tree in a
forest of pines for me though.

One thing I've noted in compareing code generator outputs to the hand
coded stuff I write is that generated stuff never uses a subroutine but
unrolls a 150 line file into 600,000 lines. And that makes finding and
correcting something virtually a start from scratch operation. Not at
all efficient IMO. It all depends on how one thinks about code flow,
basicly what works for the individual coder. Will gcode generators ever
get that smart? Doubtfull, until it also has a lot of so far very time
squandering AI. But so as I know, no one has succeeded in downloading a
brain into a computer.

I'd much rather write a subroutine to drill a hole, and use it for every
hole in a part by changing the parameters passed to that subroutine.

Your own lathe encoder disk is a good example of applying that
discipline, I've made liberal use of that code with my own mods.  Thank
you very much.

Take care Les.