On Saturday 23 March 2019 12:03:19 Les Newell wrote:

> With CAM you need to develop a different mind set. You are now
> programming with your drawing and CAM setup, not G-code. The G-code
> the becomes purely a way for the CAM to talk to your machine. It
> doesn't matter if you have 10 lines or 10000 lines. You can in theory
> do your drawings by directly writing DXF files. They are a human
> readable text format. However very few people do it that way. You have
> treat G-code in the same way. As long as the CAM is reasonably
> competent you can pretty much forget about the code.
>
> The majority of SheetCam users have only a vague idea what g-code is
> and certainly couldn't do much programming with it.
>
> Les

Wrong Les, my mistake as I was replying to Lester Caine. :)

But I think that last line about sheetcam users is a shame. gcode is
where the cutter meets the cutted, and you can't get much closer than
that.

OTOH, the higher level stuff lets you concentrate more on the artistic
aspects as the math is being done for you, so I imagine it balances out,
possibly in favor of the artistry when looking at the accounts
receivable if the design package allows that. I get the impression there
isn't room in some packages for the artistry of what the composer is
seeing in his head.

At some point the expenditure of the composing machines cpu cycles
becomes less important than the wall time. Particularly so if the wall
time is reduced enough to pay for the license.

I've downloaded that latest freecad-0.17, but its 64 bit and this is a 32
bit install, so the best thing I might try is to go fire up a rock64,
which is stretch on arm64 with 4 gb of dram, 60 GB of SSD and see how it
works there.

That might take a trip to wallies for some net cable, as that cable is
now hooked to the old HF mills computer, and a shorter cable would reach
it from the garages switch just fine.

I found the learning curve pretty vertical the last time I tried .14 on
this machine, and combined with a lack of stability, nuked it as not
being worth the effort to learn. Probably mostly my fault, old dogs, new
tricks syndrome at its worst. But I can't seem to get away from the fact
that this wet ram /is/ 84 years old, and has survived a couple attempts
to get shut down now, each of which has had its cost.

Thanks Les Newell