On Saturday 23 March 2019 04:21:22 Lester Caine wrote:

> On 23/03/2019 02:56, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry I have to disagree with that ... I'm running perfectly good
> >> gcode for the Taig mill from FreeCAD. Yes for 3D printing one of
> >> the other slicer options is required, but for 2.5D machining it
> >> works well enough and is improving all the time.

How are you getting the gcode? Its not yet listed as an export option.

> > If its being improved Lester, why has the downloadable been stuck at
> > version .14 for several years? I take it back, the last 32 bit
> > release that will run on the wheezy LiveCD install is .14, but I see
> > .17 is available for 64 bit installs now. So you have to reboot to a
> > 64 bit install to use it.  Is it worth setting up a dual boot?
>
> Actually I'm running 0.17 on the main linux desktop as the SUSE
> experimental load of 0.18 screws up other CAD and graphics related
> stuff on Leap15.0. 0.18 is running on my windows machine with Vcarve
> and TurboCAD and installed without a problem. I dropped KiCAD onto the
> windows machine as well so I could play with the recent 'paid for' job
> and while not totally smooth, I had models of the folded sheet metal
> around the PCB along with a flattened out version for the laser ...
> but it ended up being punched out on a CNC punch ... so I did not see
> the gcode for that. The final box was perfect.
>
> My next job is to get the 3D printer hooked up to the BBB/CRAMPS board
> and MachineKit driving it. Although I may get the lathe finally hooked
> up first since the the proprietary control does work. Just can't add
> bed levelling to it :(

Thats a bummer. I'm doing a "make do" version of that on my old Sheldon.
What little uneven wear there is, which has the effect of tilting the
carriage to/from the center axis, I've measured and put into a screw
comp file that profiles the error into the x axis.  Seems to work ok,
but the max correction is less than 3 thou.

Some right at the mouth of the spindle isn't wear, but the carriage being
pushed slightly out of square by the force the left hand bellows over
the screw exerts on the carriage when its being seriously crushed.  But
thats effectively inside the chucks. That 1450mm Z screw should have
been 1500mm with 40mm of that used to move the left thrust bearing to
the left.  Hindsight, always 20-05...  The fix now?  Would be tapered
gibs on both front and rear of the carriage.  But that would be quite a
chore at this stage.  It sure made a whole new lathe out of TLM though.

One thing I did on the Sheldon that I couldn't do on TLM, was to seal up
the X screw to keep swarf out of its nut. But with the motor on the rear
of the carriage on TLM, theres no room for an effective cover to
telescope, so I've crushed 3 attempts to make one so far. The Sheldon X
motor is on the front, and the taper adapter's crossfeed extension stuff
makes sealing that area up a piece of cake. I inlet a piece of 1/8" alu
paneling to cover the slot above the screw, and similarly covered the
bottom so an errant air hose blast can't get to it. Even had the back of
the carriage covered for a while.

X backlash got hugely gross a few weeks back and I thoought I was going
to have to tear it down again to get at the x clamping nut screws, but
it turned out the drive pulley was slipping on the shaft. Tightened the
setscrews till the wrench screamed again, and gave it a coat of green
locktite at the pulley/shaft joint, back to about a thou. :)

The problem with the pi turned out to a a badly mis-configure G76, giving
about 50,000 passes, so the poor pi was plumb out of swap trying to
render the backplot.  Fixed that, pi back to normal for the pi.

However, that threading job disclosed that G76 needs one more parameter.
Due to the length vs diameter of this 10-24 thread, G76 needs an
additional parameter to cause it to cut a couple thou deeper at the
right end. Because of the cutting force, it cuts the right, unsupported
end of the thread larger than at the left end, very very noticeable when
attempting to get a good fit of stylus into the threads in the plastic
face of this cheap probe.

It is possible to cheat by makeing the left end withdraw movement over
one turn less than the length of the thread, you can make a nice 40 thou
taper over 5/8" that way, but I haven't tried it for this small a taper.

I have made intentional tapers that way on TLM. Very successfully, that
is whats driving the X screw in the Sheldon. By making a socket on the
rear of the new shaft I put in the X hand crank, with the socket area
being tapered to match a custom 50 tpi tapered nut, the socket EDM'd to
make 6 petals out of it, the screw is set into the socket, some green
loctite applied, and the nuts drawn tight to crush the petals onto the
screw, its effectively one piece of steel.  Since that former hand crank
is now the X thrust bearing, its now equipt with needle shaft bearings
and ball thrust bearings for zero backlash there. But the pulleys
setscrews didn't bite into the new A2 shaft well enough, hence the
recent addition of some green loctite.