"The biggest problem with the beginners free trial is that its way too
short, and a couple of them are downright insulting in their insistence
to sell you a real licence when the 30 days has expired, Draftsight and
Solidworks are both guilty of the extreme hard sell."

I haven't found that true with Draftsight. I do get emails from them urging
me to upgrade which I simply ignore.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 1:18 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 March 2019 13:47:27 Rafael Skodlar wrote:
>
> > On 3/22/19 2:14 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > > Anyone on here have opinions on Fusion 360 Cad/Cam by Autodesk?
> >
> > Opinions is one thing, experience is another. After few mentions about
> > Fusion on this mailing list in the past I briefly looked at it and
> > that was it. Anything from here is my _opinion_ based on a lot of
> > experience.
> >
> > Any engineer worth his keep ran CAD CAM programs on minicomputers of
> > some kind; Digital, HP, Silicon Graphics, Sun Microsystems. All that
> > kept healthy competition going until it became bastardized with ports
> > to Windows".
> > Anybody or a company that is so narrow minded to produce their
> > software product for one crappy OS is STUPID! They are under false
> > impression that "free software" is only free in terms of $$$ so
> > there's no money in it. Wrong! We proved this time and time again,
> > free software is free as freedom which is not necessarily absolutely
> > free and run if there is any grain of decency in for profit user.
> >
> > Last week of February this year I "celebrated my 25 years of Linux"
> > with creating a wiki page on internal site at work. In there I
> > described my experience and inserted numerous pictures of Linux
> > distributions I bought in the past. First was a set of 49 floppy disks
> > from Linux Systems Labs which besides at home, I also installed it at
> > National semiconductor as the first Linux server. That was running at
> > least two more years I was told after I left the company. Why stay
> > when the manager told me there is no future in Linux. She sent me to
> > "Windows 95 reeducation camp" in San Francisco that year.
> >
> > My Linux experience helped me find interesting jobs because I kept
> > supporting and studying it with buying 6CD set from ImageMagic,
> > Progeny Linux, Redhat, Mandrake, etc. and FreeBSD.
> >
> > I believe that if I use "free software" of some kind commercially I
> > have a moral obligation to contribute in some way and I encouraged
> > that at different work places. One of my managers approved purchasing
> > GNU package for Windows in late 90s.
> >
> > I would call "greedy bastard" anybody that would run a "(machine shop)
> > of some kind making huge profits with free software without providing
> > some kind of support to people that developed it. Send them $$$ or
> > invite them to your shop for consulting; travel expenses included.
> > That would give you bragging rights to advertise "We actively support
> > <whatever software or product>" on your main web page.
> >
> > A number of us, members of Silicon Valley Linux Users Group,
> > volunteered for years installing Linux on personal computers for those
> > who brought them to Linux Install-fest organized at Cisco, North San
> > Jose. This was a good will to software developers mainly so that they
> > would be encouraged to develop software for/on Linux platform.
> >
> > There is a number of good examples of software projects that started
> [...]

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world
is either a madman or an economist."
        -Kenneth Boulding, economist
Corporations are NOT people and money is NOT speech!