From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 12:16 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Fusion 360

On Monday 25 March 2019 21:51:03 Chris Albertson wrote:

> A lot of people like OnShape.
> https://www.onshape.com

Impressive, much moreso than watching freecad video's. Looks like it has
canned constructs and built in error checking. Neat even.

That looks like I might be able to learn to use it. But even the trimmed
down version at $1500 is beyond my SS based budget. Sigh. So I muddle
along, writing my own gcode, using LCNC's backplot as a previewer. I
didn't check the trial duration as I know I'd not be able to produce
more than a screw in the usual 30 days. Which is likely more than I'd be
able to do with any of the others because it actually does look easier
to learn.

> It is web-based 3D CAD that has features comparable to Fusion 360 and
> SolidWorks. I've seen it used to
> make some complex parts. Right now I'm looking at some one's 1/4
> scale working model if a Mars Rover
> It has 6 powered wheels, four that steer. That is about as complex a
> project as most hobby user would attempt.
>
> THey hac=ve several teras, the free version is available to everyone
> and then you get some more features if you pay a license fee.
>
> It will even run on and computer that was a web browser, even a
> Chromebook (which is Google's brand of Linux on a low end Notebook)
>
> If you can't use Windows 10 or Mac OS and you want a good, high end
> free 3D CAD system look at it.

I didn't see any reference to a limited free version. Ah, the educator
version! But I can't truthfully qualify, I'm not an active educator,
nor do I have the minimum education of 12 years. 8+GED is all I can
claim. Old farts like me? Nope. No "slot" that fits a long time
graduate of the University of Hard Knocks. Yup, I do have a diploma from
that school hanging on the bedroom wall. It shares wall space with my
C.E.T certification.

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 4:07 PM Greg Bernard <marzetti...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Basically, it says if you download their 2019 Draftsight
> > version, you will no longer be able to use any older
> > version, and all free versions will cease to work after
> > 12/31/2019.
> > They are not clear on what happens with Mac and Linux
> > versions, but it doesn't sound good.

No it doesn't.