On 03/31/2019 08:59 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings everybody;

I think I've got the coolant pump starting problem fixed.  Ignore that
faint knocking sound.

Now I would like to use a teeny little pushbutton (6x6x2.5mm tall)
between two solid parts of this machine for home and potentially as
limit switches.

However the amount of available overtravel after the switch has clicked
is quite limited unless this switch is mounted on something crushable so
that the getting stopped overtravel does not crush the switch like a
Coors can.

Is there a way to determine how much overtravel vs approach speeds is
occuring?

Yes, use Halscope, and watch the limit switch and the axis position, have the scope trigger on the switch. Then, set it up to home at the desired velocity, and hold a metal rod or something that will trip the switch but not hurt anything when it overtravels. That should give you a trace of travel vs time. Then, select the position trace and use the cursor in the scope window and it shows you the actual numerical reading at the bottom.

Jon