As I tell the robotics students, design limit switches to survive missed
detection & over travel.
On a milling machine, I would recommend a roller type of switch, that would
come in contact with a cam bar that is long enough  to reach end of travel.

On my machine, I have two switches positioned about an inch apart, at the
middle of travel.  Then the are cam blocks, one positioned near each end of
travel
The roller rides up on the block, trips the switch, and the switch body is
safely out of the travel path.  I did my mill this way because I have sooo
many pins available with the Mesa kit.

On the school mill, I used one switch for each axis, and the cam block from
either end of travel would trip it.

So no failure (or other malfunction) will crush a switch!

--J. Ray Mitchell Jr.
jrmitche...@gmail.com

"Good enough is the enemy of excellence"author unknown