On Sunday 31 March 2019 11:07:51 TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> hi gene
> maybe redesign to drive past the switch
> like you can brush a wall mounted light switch by swiping your hand
> over the wall surface
> rather than punching it :-)
> ( try mounting so the direction of switch activation is 90 degress to
> the joint motion )
> tomp

I hadn't thought of that idea, mainly because that would put the
mechanism out in the breeze and subject to damage, or maybe snagging a
hose etc as it moves. Mounted so as to detect the touch of the two parts
as it comes to the end of travel is quite appetizing in addition to
being "in out of the weather" so to speak. Mounting a 90 degree angled
and flexible lever for z would either project forward or sideways, and
sideways would cost me x travel too. I'll have to go stand and stare at
it some more & see what I can imagine AND make. I've already done some
of that, and keep throwing it away for one reason or another.  The best
idea seems to be to make a spring loaded button pusher with 1/4" of give
in the spring, but that sticks out. On both moving and stationary parts.
Sliding a ramp over the top of the button equals wear on the plastic
button. And complicated  by the inability to get at it to drill & tap
screw holes without a huge teardown. So whatever is going to have to be
set in position and superglued to the epoxy paint on everything.
Imagination will be made to work overtime for sure. Changing switch
style to roller lever is looking like a possibility. Put a short tab of
sheet alu to stick out of the gap and hit the roller might work, and
that would put the switch body flat on the stationary part. They can
stand some overtravel by flexing the lever. I have enough of those for
homes, but not for limits too.  And with no Radio Shacks left, China is
the nearest vendor. 6 weeks. Humm, for x home at left, peel my cable
back out of the gantry cable chain early. Y home never gets to the
gantry cable, only thru the new cambric coming down from the electronics
shelf. Like I said, stand and stare at it. And let my imagination out
without a chaperone...

Thanks TomP.