On 3/31/19 8:07 AM, TJoseph Powderly wrote:
hi gene
maybe redesign to drive past the switch
like you can brush a wall mounted light switch by swiping your hand over
the wall surface
rather than punching it :-)
( try mounting so the direction of switch activation is 90 degress to the
joint motion )
tomp

Good idea. Some computers from the 70's and 80's had a lot of mechanical parts. I remember seeing a double switch solutions to detect position of some kind of a sliding mechanism. Thinking about it, that kind of solution was possibly used on head assembly with voice coil in disk drives.

Switch assembly had tiny wheels on spring loaded lever that was pushing gently on microswitch. First switch would detect adjustable position close to the limit, second switch was the absolute limit. When the electronics detects first switch it slows down the motor and the mechanism continues to move to the absolute limit switch then stops.