Well, what I would ideally picture is a realtime hardware motion controlled coupled to a Raspberry PI running Linux non-RT, the PI is hooked to a PC and has an embedded http server.  At that point you access it via browser and load and control control your job from the PC interface.  estop etc is still on the hardware.  At that point it does not matter if you use Windows or Linux.

Danny