On Thursday 11 April 2019 15:41:15 Chris Albertson wrote:

> I have to agree,   The entire point of moving al real time functions
> to hardware is so that a real-time OS is no longer required.
>
> The only reason Linux is even needed is that it is an easy way to get
> a real-time OS.   If not for the RT requirement you could use a Mac or
> Windows or even an iPad or any cell phone.
>
> If the machine controler could run on a me=aintstream OS (like Windows
> 10) and on a normal notebook PC it would be orders of magnitude more
> popular and widly used
>
> "EMC" as it was called (then later Linux CNC and then MK) was a great
> idea: Use existing, low cost off the shelf hardware to control a CNC
> machine. This is still a good a very idea but today the existing
> low-cost hardware looks like an STM32 chip and cost about $5.   These
> chips have "compute power" roughly the same as the old PCs EMC was
> developed with.  These little chips are nice to use not just because
> of the price but because there typically come with an RT operating
> system (based on CMSIS)  that has much better RT performance than any
> RT-Linux.

Even th D-525-MW motherboard? I can latency-test for an hour or 2 on this
machine I'm building up right now, and not show any worse than 5.1
microseconds for base thread latency, and If I run without that thread,
which I don't use anyway, and the worst case latency is 4850ns.  Thats
right alongside the figures I've seen quoted for the STM-32.

> There is nothing special about Linux other than it provided a cheap
> and easy to get RT OS.

And security. Windows may be improving, but connected directly to the
net, how long before its owned. I went from amiga to linux in 1998, and
have not been touched since. That of course includes using another linux
product, dd-wrt, between my local network, and the network at large on
the other side of my cable modem.