I thought the nut that needed to be torqued down was on the spindle.   You
would not be using a stepper for the spindle motor.
So the "wrench" holds the nut and then you power up the spindle to tighten
the nut.   If that is the case then spindle motor current
tells you the torque on the nut.

But if maybe you lock the spindle and turn the nut.  Then your spindle lock
needs to have a torque gauge fitted.  The gauge is either a spring and
switch or a load cell.   The switch is much easier to interface with.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California