Greetings all;

While adding a couple timedelays and a couple or2's to my hal file,
basically to prove that I can pulse the spindle for the nominally 200
msecs used to spin the nut on/off to release the collet and supposedly
drop the tool, or just drop it all, I came up against a designed in
problem.  This vfd has a pid in it that will no doubt wind up if the
speed command is present for any great amount of time, so its possible I
might have to cobble up a set of PID params to essentially disable that.
Because I think I am going to need to have the speed present at the VI1
input before I enable the fwd or reverse commands for the timed 200
millisecs to drop or pick up the tool during the change. The wind up in
that case might be advantageous in that it might jerk the nut loose, or
tighten it tighter before the carousel puts the real tighten on it. But
likely difficult to control too.

But I find its not possible to send this speed request before the run/dir
signals. I can mux2 the spindle speed inputs to the 7i76, and have the
as yet unwritten tool changer code issue the speed and timings.

Is that the choice?

A secondary problem if I do the 3d printed tool holders inside the collet
sockets, like the orange pieces in one of the videos on hack-a-day,
depending on the tool to drop free when the nut backs out the collet, is
that the tool does not always come free, and this looks like a
showstopper problem that puts me back to buying a handfull of nuts and
collets so I can drop it all and then reposition the carousel to pick up
the next tool/nut/collet as an assembly. Either way, it seems like I'll
unavoidably need an automatic TLO setting to complete the change.

Thanks for any comments on my hair brained ideas. I figure on a bigger
carousel than shown in the videos. That thought is driven by the
difficulties I've had with the hand tightened (with a pair of 12 to 16"
wrenches) on the ER32's on the G0704.

I've wrecked parts and broken tools because they'll walk out of the
collet, dig too deep and finally break off.  That bit of history has
cost me several hundred in tools so far. :(

Thanks for any wisdom shared.