On Thursday 18 April 2019 05:30:13 TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> Hi Roland
>
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2019, 3:23 PM Roland Jollivet
> <roland.jolli...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 01:22, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 17 April 2019 15:06:02 Chris Albertson wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This is the case, except you are turnbing the nut by using the xy
> > > steppers to drive the carousel which is turning the nut.

> > Hi Gene
> >
> > To recap; small steppers 'drive' the carousel around to tighten the
> > motor. Bad idea.
> >
> > Here's a different way of looking at it;
> > Keep the current stepper arrangement, but drive the carousel
> > instead, with a windscreen wiper motor.
> > You now have as much torque as you like in the carousel. Add a
> > reduction drive if you like. If you mount this under the bed you can
> > go to town on it.
> >
> > Gene might include a visual
>
> Gene could give a visual clue with each of these posts.

My movie camera is fairly hidef, a Sony handicam that works at 720x480, a
1 minute clip is around 50 megabytes.  That would be abusing the server,
so I don't. I  could also link to the movies on my web page, but my
upload bw, at 175 kb sucks.0

> So search ' xatc ' in Google

I'll do that.

> Sorry I can't get this phone to copy the hackaday url ( stupid
> Newton!)
>
> You will see he needs to move the spindle about the carousel center.
> Not turn the carousel about it's center.
> ( The design as it is now)
> That needs an xy move of the carousel center Or an arc motion of the
> center or
> some lever motion or ( insert favorite idea here).
>
> The process would be to move into tool position, Z down, then either
> track
>
> > the motion of the carousel, or disable the stepper drives and let
> > them coast as the carousel takes the spindle with it as it
> > loosens/tightens. Once you've reached your target Amperage on the
> > motor, stop, and Z up. The X,Y is now a 'don't care', so home the
> > machine.
> > You then further rotate the carousel to home with a single switch so
> > it's always ready.
> >
> > Regards
> > Roland
>
> Hth tomp

It all helps, TomP. It gives me an assortment of ideas. Unanswered are
questions that can only be determined by building it and testing it.

Like for instance using 'Merican tools because thats what I can
(generally) buy here, and metric collets which are a lot smaller a jump
between sizes, how many turns between using the spindle motor to "take
up the slack", then driving the nut until a 4mm collet has a good grip
on a 1/8" shank is needed. A 3mm collet just isn't big enough, but the
collet crush in that 4mm case might be more than a full turn as the
threads on an ER12 are finer than the threads on the TTS. I liked the
idea of driveing the socket with a rack, until I calculated the needed
rack length to get 2 full turns of the socket when its driving bull gear
is a 3"er.  A good 12" of rack sticking out. Unforch, my imagination
doesn't always come up with practical ideas, so I'm back to a chain
drive, with a minimum small tooth sprocket of about 8 teeth, or a chain
of idler gears, all on decent bearings or at least needle cartridges.
Bring money in a little red wagon.

Also is the problem I'm having with this YL-620-A VFD. I have found some
of its config options, but low frequency boost escapes me so far. With
an amprobe on a motor lead, I get max current at about 14 k revs of
about 3.6 amps. At a requested 4000 revs, its actually turning about 200
and I can stop it with one finger. At 3900, it hits maybe 500 at start
up, but eventually fades to a stop with a very small pull occasionally
while the H display claims something over 60 HZ but not much over an
amp.

Take my finger away and it will eventually get back to maybe 100revs,
drawing not much more than an amp.  No LF boost at all. The vendor
hasn't replied to my help message other than saying he has asked his
supplier, 2 days ago. Since, crickets. This is Thursday, and if no
helpful info by Monday I think I'll ask ebay for a Haun Yang or a
refund. I think I get the refund, extend my 250 volt single phase line
to it and get a 220 volt motor and VFD of at least a 2.2KW rating. The
one on the Sheldon is happy as a clam running that 1 hp motor at 10HZ. I
think I've used the back gear once!  And its done it for half an hour at
a time w/o heating the motor to the I can't touch it state.