Sorry, guys, I really do understand how it works. I thought I was quite
clear..

That's why I said the l steppers 'drive' the carousel around. Notice the '
'. Yes, to spell it out.... the motion of the X-Y steppers in a circular
motion results in the carousel rotating. The carousel rotates as a result
of the XY stepper motion.......

The net result is that the carousel rotates while the nut is being loosened.
The motive force for this to occur is the stepper motors. The carousel
itself is passive.

This is a bad idea because;
- stiction can result in a much higher force to loosen the nut than tighten
it
- any lost steps in the stepper motors will result in a poor subsequent
trajectory, it will be fighting all the way
- there is no simple way to monitor the torque necessary, or applied.

So... instead of using the steppers to effect the required action of
loosening the nut, rather move... the motive force to the carousel.
Visually the result is the same, but since the carousel is now DRIVEN
instead of just coasting around, the benifits are;
- geared DC motors of the required torque are readily available, or use a
windscreen wiper motor with a further reduction
- the motor current is easy to monitor
- disable the stepper drives so the gantry becomes passive and is pulled
around instead
- indexing of the carousel only needs a single switch to home it.

Regards
Roland