On Saturday 24 August 2019 15:01:51 John Dammeyer wrote:

> > Found the site, chinky of course, Model #?
>
> The small motor to replace the Automation Technologies Inc 1.27Nm
> Brushed DC Servo is a 60SM-M0130NAL controlled with the SDD04-NK7D.
> The big motor for the spindle is a 110SM-M0630ZAL and rated at 1.8kW
> or just over 2HP replacing a huge 2HP single phase motor.
>
> The support from their factory rep in China has been spectacular.
> English/Chinese is definitely an issue and has led to some confusion
> but it's nice dealing with the actual factory and the design
> engineers. I'm not totally happy yet with their ModBus RS422
> interface.  Once the motors are enabled there is a significant amount
> of electrical noise coupled onto the communications lines.  For an
> extra charge they will opto-isolate that interface.  I'm investigating
> that avenue but haven't made a decision yet.

That sounds more like a ground loop. You may want to check that, or run a
bidi rs485 all the way, which should be compatible with the 422 once
converted back to ttl at the end. $2 & change a copy on fleabay.

> But all in all I'm finding I'd buy from them again.  And in fact
> perfectly willing to arrange a bulk purchase to save shipping costs
> but I guess right now for Americans, even talking to China right now
> is like talking to the devil?
>
> Not a problem in Canada so far.  I suppose if I value added something
> to the motor/driver combination to make it "Canadian" then the same
> duties into the USA might not apply?

So far in my old $dayjob as a broadcast engineer experience, only proof
the fee has been paid once is adequate.  And the guys at the shack on
the border officially don't give a shit if it spends 2 weeks out in the
weather, raining everyday while its waiting on the forms.  I've had to
put stuff from Norpack in the stations kitchen oven at 150F for a day or
2 to get it dry enough to plug in a line cord for a smoke test a couple
times.  That does not a happy camper make. Getting adequate paperwork
for that was such a pain for stuff CBS bought from north of the border
was such a headache that the 3rd time that gismo had to be sent north
for service (they didn't give us schematics) that I sent it to CBS to
make the headache theirs. I got it back faster too.. It was eventually
replaced with a US made product.  It too was a piece of junk, but did
have schematics.

Nap time...

> John

 - Louis D. Brandeis