You must have a substantial amount of backlash?  The backlash is taken out
at max axis acceleration.  that is why you need to have 2X acc for the
stepgen_maxaccel.   There is a chance that the axis could be accelerating
and the backlash taken out at the same time causing 2x the acceleration
being sent to the stepgens.