On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 01:47, andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now all it seems to do is change from 0 to 1 on the count and there is not
> any sense to the numbers changing.  it is not counting as it was before.

This is what you see if one of the A or B channels has stopped
working. You can probably see this with halscope.

What I suspect has happened is that you have added another DC source
to the mix with a different 0V reference, and that has exceeded the
common-mode limit of the encoder inputs (this only makes sense if your
encoder is wired as differential pairs. And jumpered accordingly)

If your encoders are wired single-ended, then it's probably the same
root cause, and, in fact, it's easier to get this problem single-ended
(if you _can_ wire as different pairs, then you really should)

If there are terms here that are unfamiliar I am happy to explain further.

--
atp
lunatics."