On Thu, 21 May 2020, andrew beck wrote:

Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 15:53:45 +1200
From: andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] mesa 7i76 spindle encoder not counting suddenly

hey PCW and andy

I just checked the mpg with a multimeter.

I had my brother jogging .005mm at a time to try and catch the encoder
pulses.

when measuring between the B and /B pulses I could measure 2.5 volts when
the encoder triggered.

I could not measure any voltage at any time through the A and /A channels.

Broken wire or connecoto problem?

PCW how do I common the 5v and 24v grounds together on the 7i76?

I saw this sheet here for the 7i76E that seems to show that the 7i76E only
needs 24v and makes its own 5v if you set the jumpers right.  (is the 7i76
also the same?)  that would make life really easy

No its normally suggested to have the 7I76 use FPGA power

[image: image.png]

If I do have to use a separate 5v powersupply eg 5i25 for now can I just
connect a wire between 24v ground and a unused logic 0v ground pin on a
step gen port or something?  Or should I do something more elegant

I would check to see if the 24V common is already connected to frame ground
if it is you should be OK

regards

Andrew

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com>