I always have to look this stuff up.
https://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/standard_metric_hex_nuts_13728.htm

The other way to make metal threads is this.  You heat them with solder
iron (hold the tip up vertically and place the brass nut over the tip.)
 then push into a plain hole and the PLA solidifies  Makes a very
professional looking result.
amazon.com/Hilitchi-250-Pcs-Threaded-Embedment-Assortment...
<https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-250-Pcs-Threaded-Embedment-Assortment/dp/B0784VYCYY/ref=pd_lpo_60_t_0/140-9661733-2175833?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0784VYCYY&pd_rd_r=dfc2953c-1f19-4e8a-9c8e-6b470fedbb44&pd_rd_w=OM2eJ&pd_rd_wg=vtCkD&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=06X8CQ3X8Z5DAHSD2XFD&psc=1&refRID=06X8CQ3X8Z5DAHSD2XFD>

Yes, printing slow makes everything shake less.  I print at 60mm/second and
seem to get better layer to layer adhesion.   But I bet I could do better
only once something works I hate to change.  I printed some braces and
screwed the printer to the bench and that helped the most.

There are dozens of  upgrade parts you can print or make.   (1) look at the
pulleys on your belts.  Most cheap printers use smooth round ones with no
teeth.  These cause vibration on the belt and are best replaced with
real timing belt idler pulleys with ball bearings inside.     Make a
filament feed that does not tug on the extruder.  PVC pipe can work for
that.  Th best ones use ball bearings from skateboards,     Some brands of
plastic are simply better. Some of tigher tolerances on the diameter (0.003
vs 0.005 mm) so the feed is more consistant.   These are many tiny things
that might add up.

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 7:44 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 07 June 2020 01:21:39 Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> I went back to the 12 tooth I'll use for the motor pulley on the BS-1
> clone, and made it with the newer configuration.
>
> Surprise, no junk in the access hole or the nut pocket, but I'd increased
> the nut size to a 5mm nut, which left the outside wall a bit thinner
> than I'd like, so I'll add a couple mm's to the hub diameter.
>
> But before I do that again, perhaps someone could give me better
> measurements for both its width and thickness for a std 5mm nut?
>
> This pulley would be usable, but belt tension is going to be quite high
> as the teeth, at this diameter are rounded enough to allow it to hop.
> Its a good looking render other than that.  Would slowing the movement
> speeds down improve that?  Render time was just a few seconds over an
> hour, which is a huge improvement.
>
> Adhesion problems are gone if the first layer is under .1mm thick.  Thats
> about onion skin if using a paper for gage.
>
> Many thanks for all the help folks.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California