I always used a bench vise to crimp 40 pin floppy, 34 and 80 pin IDE, and 50
pin SCSI IDC connectors onto ribbon cable. Never had a problem.

    On Friday, November 13, 2020, 12:30:37 PM MST, Jon Elson
<el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

 On 11/13/2020 10:14 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I, despite seeingthe signals on the bobs input leds just fine, am not
> seeing them at all the inputs to encoder.01 in the 5i25.  And I just
> made that 5' cable a month ago.
>
> IDC crap. I have a 100 ft roll of Belden ribbon cable thats now about 15
> years old, unused portion still in the Belden box.  But apparently
> either the blue amphenol db25, or the black hirose 26 pin header
> connectors, both gold flashed, are crap.  Or the cable has been gnawed
> in two, without leaving a mark on it.
>
> Where are you guys buying /known good/ cable and connectors these days?

I have found that crimping .050" (standard density) ribbon
cable is quite tricky.  You have to have the connectors
square to the cable and use a high-quality crimping tool.
We also have a cable tester at work.

Bizarrely, we use a bunch of high-density (0.025") cables
with "3M" (really made KEL of Japan) connectors, and they
are actually much more reliable.

As for DB25 connectors, there are TWO TYPES.  The old type
had the forks on 0.109" spacing, and required cable with
0.0545" spacing. It would look like it would crimp to .050"
cable, but would not be reliable.  Newer connectors have
dog-leg pins that mate to .050" cable.  The DB25s also need
some careful squeezing to get the full depth of crimp
without breaking the connector.  I always recommend the
strain relief add-on part to prevent the tiny wires from
tearing.

Jon