On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 6:46 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I have a 2" $70 Gibralter with very flat jaws. Does a great job of
> crimping. A year and 2-3 disconnects later, the cover is warped up in
> the middle and theres no connection for the 3 or 5 wires in the middle.
> Recrimp it and set your clock for 6 months. Wash rinse and repeat.  I'm
> obviously tired of it.

I saw faults like this, caused by a bad crimp. The individual wires are
supposed to slide into the y-shaped insulation displacement blades, past
the narrowing. If they don't, it's not a gas-tight connection and fails
eventually.
Maybe take the cover off, and inspect the cables and the blades---they
should poke through the insulation to a uniform height. If you're
(un?)lucky you may see some wires being just barely on the forks, not fully
in. You can use a flat blade screwdriver placed right behind the forks to
push individual wires down past the narrowing. This is by the way not a bad
way of crimping them in the first place, if you don't have a proper
crimper---and let me tell you that crimping 68-pin IDC connectors in one
shot is not easy.

Properly done, the iDC are very reliable---a lot of equipment is using
them, and for dozens of years. Definitely not failing every year.

By the way, the Russians and Bulgarians gate-for-gate-copied PDP and IBM
computers back in the seventies/eighties. THey were quite unreliable; the
difference was DEC and IBM used properly engineered, good quality
connectors, which were unavailable behind the Iron Curtain.