I agree, I feel like that’s a fairly safe assumption, although I acknowledge
that it is possible the drives might run away.  I figure the best way to handle
drive faults is to trigger an e-stop (via HAL) so that all drives and the
spindle halt motion.  Then you could one-shot the fault clear lines on the
drives when you power up the machine.  This would handle the most common faults
(i.e. I crashed my machine into the side of my vise/table/etc) and avoid trying
to slot your table or vise with a trashed cutter.  While the following error
would also trigger the machine to stop, it’s yet another way to ensure that
things aren’t made worse.  And a one-shot to clear the faults would avoid the
need to power cycle, rehome, etc.