On 02/10/2021 12:42 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
So back to the original subject.  It's not just motion that can cause a driver
fault.  A broken encoder wire, DC or AC power instability, or even random
electrical noise.  In all those cases I've found I still have to execute a HOME
ALL command to bring things back.  With repeatable home switches the G54 still
takes the system back to where it was and as long as the replacement tool (or
whatever) is still in the same place, even after a power loss, machining can
continue.

Yes, with a step-based, open-loop system, you have to re-home, as there is no way to know if the last few steps were executed or not. With a servo system, or closed-loop step-based with encoder feedback, then the computer always knows the position, except in cases where the servo drive reprocesses the encoder position, and the E-stop powers down the drives.

Jon