On Wednesday 10 February 2021 11:42:28 Matthew Herd wrote:

> I agree, I feel like that’s a fairly safe assumption, although I
> acknowledge that it is possible the drives might run away.  I figure
> the best way to handle drive faults is to trigger an e-stop (via HAL)
> so that all drives and the spindle halt motion.  Then you could
> one-shot the fault clear lines on the drives when you power up the
> machine.  This would handle the most common faults (i.e. I crashed my
> machine into the side of my vise/table/etc) and avoid trying to slot
> your table or vise with a trashed cutter.  While the following error
> would also trigger the machine to stop, it’s yet another way to ensure
> that things aren’t made worse.  And a one-shot to clear the faults
> would avoid the need to power cycle, rehome, etc.
>
> > On Feb 10, 2021, at 11:29 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was assuming that the faulted drives would disable themselves. I
> > was thinking about what to do with the drives that have not faulted.

Power cycling these new 3 phase step pulse driven servos is appasrently
the only way to reset the error, so on the Sheldon, a fault from one of
them resets F2, in turn killing all power to the motor psu's, which of
coarse unsets the home state too. Takes about 5 seconds or a little more
because the unloaded psu's take so long to decay. The driver makers
really should give us a reset input unless there is one in the rj45
thats undocumented. Cycling the enable doesn't do it in my tests of
doing that. So I just count ten chimpanzee's before hittin the F2 key to
get thing restarted, while pulling the tool so I can rehome it without
hitting the work with the tool.

 - Louis D. Brandeis