On Tue, 2021-06-29 at 14:32 -0600, R C wrote:
> On 6/29/21 2:21 PM, Valerio Bellizzomi wrote:

> > > and that is why it is inappropriate, and useless, there is no way
> > > you
> > > can predict how/what  offends people (and nowadays. Creating
> > > rules
> > > for
> > > what/how/when and to whom what can be said, well, there are
> > > countries
> > > where you can happily follow those rules.
> >
> > This is what I think:
> >
> > The point of a CoC is to tell people that the expected behavior is
> > act kindly with respect to each other, and the CoC must foresee and
> > provide means to resolve any controvercies that may arise, and do
> > this
> > kindly as much as possible in order to reestablish the community
> > aggregation and mutual respect.
>
> right, most normal/decent people know that is expected behavior, so
> it
> is pointless to re-iterate, and mosyly turns into something
> manipulative.
>
> > I don't understand why there is so much friction on adopting a CoC,
> > the
> > vast majority of open source projects around the world has a CoC
> > which
> > is created, reviewed and accepted by community members.
>
> Because it is pointless.  There still has not been given an urgent
> reason for doing this kinda left-ish thing.
>

> I make a point of that all the time, also at work, where they have
> several of these things.
>

> Reason?  Oh an upper management person  once said it was needed
> "because
> everyone deserves to be respected, and by the end of the day can go
> home
> being happy they accomplished something"
>
> I questioned him "Why?"  ..  except for a lot of "uh"-s no real
> answer.
> Of course not,  because there are no reasons to do that..  it's
> management porn.
>

> > The only point I can make is that we need a community revision and
> > voting of the CoC.
>
> why?  seriously, make a pressing point of  why.
>

> > Regards
> >
> Ron

I cannot comment on what you do at work. However this is how things
work in a human society, we need to state very clearly what are the
leadership actions to do in case controvercies need to be resolved, and
state what is expected behavior and unacceptable behavior from
community members, so that everybody knows that staying in the
community involves some kind of mental and behavioral engagement. This
is necessary to avoid irrimediable conflicts that can lead to
destruction of the community.

I'm happy to see that LinuxCNC community has survived so long without a
CoC. That said every community needs a CoC mostly as an assurance to
external people that they can join the community without fear.

Regards