Chris sent me a zip with the project step file.  This one I was able to load
and save.  The individual part files were not editable.

However, once I saved that imported step file as the entire assembly AlibreCAD
saved it as a series of assemblies and part files;  88 in all including the
original step file.  The assembly does not have any constraints so once you
pull the pieces apart it's hard to put them back without adding in constraints.

Anyway, these are editable.
If anyone wants a zip with the .AD_ASM and .AD_PRT files I'll pass it on.  At
this point you load Harmonic Drive Project v45.AD_ASM and can edit the
individual part files although they can't be saved from within the part
editing.  Only inside the assembly.

But separately they can be edited.  Probably a bug in Alibre.  They don't call
it Read Only or Read/Write but locked and unlocked.

John