On 05/09/2018 03:51 AM, Cedric Bail wrote:
On May 8, 2018 12:41 PM, Stefan Schmidt <ste...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
On 04/27/2018 01:38 PM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
Its been a while. About to get our act together and get everything in place so
we can start the 1.21 stabilization phase.

We had this brought up at the two IRC meetings we had and I wanted to reach out
here as well to understand what pieces people here are
working on that need finishing before we can go start stabilization.

I know from Cedric that he still has two branches he wants to get merged (a
third one was going in already). Supposedly this should happen
this week.

What else is it that we are working on? If you have something, speak up NOW!

There sadly has not been as much progress as hoped for.
I still wait for the following items:

o Cedric's last branch to be merged (lifecycle?). What is the status here?
Maybe its to massive to get landed for 1.21? I have been told it
would be merged like 10 days ago.

Yes, I have found much more mistake than anticipated and some hack that I
didn't know we had. I have fixed all the hack. I am now reviewing all the
warning that elementary tests suite is triggering and see if they are genuine
or unrelated. I know there is still a problem during shutdown with how focus
expect the parent object to always be there during destructor. The branch can
already run enlightenment, terminology and the C# bindings fine. I am hoping to
land this as soon as possible, but I don't want to rush it either.
   It is difficult to say how much more work around our inconsistent previous
lifecycle I might discover and need to untangle, but hopefully I will be done
very soon (a matter of days).

The focus stuff is fixed and there are phab revisions for this, which are waiting for your review.

A bit more: Not focus is the problem here, the problem is, that composition is setting the parent of the attached object to the object where you are attaching to, thus this attached object *now* is destroyed when the object is invalidated (before destructor). *Before* it was destructed when the destructor chain got to the efl.object class. What this means is, this is not the mistake of the focus code, you changed how the deletion of those objects are working, you have to do basically the same on every object that uses composition, thats efl_net, efl_ui_text, efl_ui_tags, efl_ui_video [...]

o https://phab.enlightenment.org/D5908 needs review
o https://phab.enlightenment.org/D6046 needs review
o Comments on the flat theme from Raster

Once we have these sorted we can start with the stabilization phase.
As we have no date for this yet I can only give a rough schedule to give people
an idea.
This needs to be updated once we start with the alpha.

=== Schedule ===

Day X Merge window is over.
-   Only bug fixes from this point
-   Alpha release tarball
-   We really need to sort out if we have bigger issues lingering around due to
all the last minute rush
     Day X+14 Beta1 release tarball
-   Only critical fixes from this point
     Day X+21 Beta2 release tarball
     Day X+28 Beta3 release tarball
     Day X+35 Beta4 release tarball
     Day X+42 EFL 1.20 is out
As you can see I would expect more time for stabilization this time. Its a huge release with many, many changes and some last minute rush. I also expect all the folks brining in the big changes to stand by and fix the bugs introduced.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Cedric