On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:04:24 -0500,
Brian Mattern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:51:43PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >     Simon wrote:
> >     I think it would be good to have freely placed modules in
> > e17... but I just wonder if this should be the main method for
> > having large numbers of interesting "desklets" kinds of things in e.
> >

> Write an app that sets
>   ecore_evas_alpha_set(ee, 1);
>   ecore_evas_borderless_set(ee, 1);
> and run a compositor?
>
> Then, if desired set them to stack 'always below', and either alt-drag
> them around or use esmart_draggies?
True, but having a standard way to do this with modules would
provide several advantages:
   - consistent behavior
   - smart placement (position/size automatically saved/restored,
        resolution change would be automatically handled, ...)
   - standard way to set keybindings to specific module actions
   - module's theme can be changed when e17's theme is changed
   - possibility to communicate with the wm, to listen to its
        events, and even to change its default behavior...

Of course it has some drawbacks, the biggest I can see is that modules
are dependent to e17 but... who cares, we use e17 :)

> Who ever has enough empty screen space to see their desktop anyway?
Modules are not bound to be stucked on the desktop: we could have a key
to bring all the desktop modules on foreground for example (like
what MacOS X does with the gadgets).

Simon