On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:42:01 +0200 Tom Hacohen <t...@stosb.com> said:

> On 14/11/12 02:24, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> I'm not trying to encourage you to fix them. I'm just trying to make
> >> sure we do not progress any further with those bugs still there as they
> >> are obvious release blockers. I don't see the point of advancing into
> >> the beta stage with such release blockers still there. I only "nag"
> >> about it after each step we take forward without fixing it. I.e Alpha1
> >> and Alpha2.
> >
> > people insist on release dates and timed releases. i've made this point so
> > many times over the years (that a release needs to mean something -ie
> > features added, things fixed), but hey - 99% of the world doesnt care. they
> > just care about a release and a number or name next to it. so frankly...
> > i've given up. if you want these bugs fixe3d by the release date... looking
> > into them and fixing them since you can reproduce them is how it will
> > happen. complaining to people who reply with "works for me" is simply going
> > to have an endless cycle and a release with those bugs for you.. because
> > the developers have zero way to fix it.
>
> Mike, this one is also for you:
>
> I wasn't implying we should do a time based release schedule, was just
> saying that going into beta with those issues still there is useless. I
> don't need to provide any more details as there are already bug reports
> that provide all the information we have. It just feels that we are just
> going to let these bugs slide and just release with them with a huge WFM
> sticker attached. I don't know if it's the truth, but that's how it
> feels to me.

unless those who can reproduce it readily fix it... this is exactly what will
hapen. dec 21 will have a release regardless of the bugs in it becuse everyone
insists we must do timed releases. so... too bad. the bed has been made - now
lay in it.

> >> You know my current state, that I'm currently completely away and
> >> swamped with things I'm supposed to do before I move to another country
> >> next week, so don't act so naive and suggest me to do things you know I
> >> just can't do. I'm doing what I can to help, and in my point of view,
> >> reminding people about big issues that should be blocking releases when
> >> releases are made anyway are very big help.
> >> Also, although my limited availability and general lack of free time
> >> I've been fixing bugs in e recently (haven't been hacking on my
> >> favourite parts of the EFL, but focused on e instead), so I really don't
> >> get what you are trying to say.
> >
> > thats cool - but just so you know - this plan was already set. we'd try and
> > do 2 releases (alpha/beta) per week until final release. it's to get out
> > updates quickly during this time.
>
> I was just saying, lets stay in alpha until this is fixed.
> >
> >> Bottom line is: I'm just trying to make sure we don't release any beta
> >> versions before these issues are fixed.
> >
> > ensuring that will only happen if those that can reproduce it look into
> > it. :) i just spent 2 days and destroyed my machine (and rescued it)
> > hunting a comp bug that intel+mesa9.x introduced. it needed up a simple
> > "reason" and fixing it wasnt too hard, but it meant refactoring some code.
> > kde/kwin also had the same bug fyi. i fix bugs i can SEE and reproduce when
> > and if i have the time. in the case of your comp stuff - i can't reproduce
> > on any of my machines - well i've seen it maybe once a day and frankly - i
> > can't then reproduce it often enough to spend time figuring out what went
> > wrong. i'm happy to help anyone out who wants to look and explain what is
> > happening inside comp when it deals with new windows etc. so they can add
> > in "printfs" and debug and find out what logic path is going wrong... but
> > that requires someone who reproduces it regularly to step up and do that :)
>
> You also get the GTK+ menu bug, don't you? So you can reproduce it. :) I
> will help once I get some free time, hopefully starting next week (given
> that I'll have a computer to use).

no i dont get it. thats my point. right now i'm rummaging thru gtk menus in
sylpheed. just fine. i am sliding my mouse across the menu bar at the top
showing and hiding menus one after the other really fast and they ll work and
show/hide. no missing menus.