> In the end, what raster said is true, out of all the EFL C API, only some is
> thread safe.  The EFL design does include mechanisms for marshalling unsafe
> calls to the main thread.  So it doesn't matter which scripting language is
> used to wrap it, somewhere along the line this call marshalling will have to
> be taken care of.

Nice, this is what I wanted to know. Now it's apparent it's (and will
be) possible to use pure pthreads from C without EFL thread-wrappers
under the condition the programmer passes explicitly serialized
messages (using thread-safe serializing C functions) to those
thread-unsafe C functions.

> My intention with Edje Lua is to make that transparent to Lua scripts.

Great idea, keep going!

Thank you guys for participation in this discussion. All my concerns
are clarified.