On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:43:27 +0200 Andreas Volz <li...@brachttal.net> said:

> Am Sun, 10 Apr 2016 10:10:04 +0900 schrieb Carsten Haitzler (The
> Rasterman):
>
> > On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 20:10:23 +0200 Andreas Volz <li...@brachttal.net>
> > said:

> > > Youtube update:
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_zmu2uGu0Y
> >
> > i thought the scrolling speed was bad (as disucussed - lots of copies
> > and conversions on the cpu. if you had a working gl driver this would
> > be cut down a lot). you may want to check if "dont composite
> > fullscreen windows" is enabled under composite settings in rendering
> > in e.
>
> This is option was yet set. But I now I also call the
> elm_win_maximized_set() only for the case there's a difference to just
> set the window borderless in max screen resolution size by hand.

why not set fullscreen to true? just one thing to swizzle not 2?

> ALso I set elm_win_alpha_set(false) as I currently don't need it. Maybe
> this even improves.

well... if you never set alpha to true... then it is false. yes. it's better to
do this. :)

> > runing in 16bpp is going to always cause extra conversion. with all sw
> > rendering just to get something updated on screen:
>
> How could I prevent that color conversion part? Should I configure my
> window in another way?

this depends - xorg options or even kernel boot parameters. maybe its booting
in 16bpp.

> > client:
> >   render in in 32bpp
> >   convert/copy + dither 32->16bpp
> > compositor
> >   copy 16bpp to client
> >   convert 16bpp to 32bpp
> >   render in in 32bpp
> >   convert/copy + dither 32->16bpp
> >
> > if "don't composite fullscreen windows" is enabled ... your
> > fullscreen app can drop all of the compositor part of the pipeline.
> >
> > if you run in 32bpp. then the conversions are dropped. if you have a
> > gpu of course the rendering is done by hw (you do have to ensure the
> > client is using gl too - change elementary_config settings to prefer
> > some kind of acceleration). you would need to go try the new
> > experimental mesa support for the vidcore gpu - it may mean building
> > your own... or finding pkgs someone is maintaining that do.
>
> I'll wait and hope for this and concentrate on my application even if
> not at perfect speed. I've enough open points on my side. :-)
>
> > but scrolling speed. ok... your map rendering updates are like "go
> > make a cup of coffee an come back when it's done". :) what is going
> > on there?
>
> I'm in contact with the libosmscout developer. Maybe things could be
> improved in the engine itself. For example the routing part. This is
> not on my side. Maybe a faster hard disk for map data instead of the SD
> card may also help.

hmm i doubt a hdd will do better. :) the sd card has zero seek times, and
read-speed should beat the hdd - especially since a hdd on a rpi needs to go
through usb 2. the sd card has its own dedicated channels. WRITe speed could be
horrible. this does happen. you really have to hunt a good sd card/thumbdrive
etc. for good write speeds, but read should equal or beat the hdd and have no
seek.

it might be worth getting a quick profile to see what's going ton. where is the
cpu time going?

> But for sure my rendering loop itself is so bad. It's just a prototype
> that calculate and renders a complete screen with a hard configured
> frequency without any image caching or similar. I should just render a
> big image and then move it around as the car moves. Cache zoom bitmaps
> or pre-render low quality image and blur them to hide longer loading
> maps or other tricks to improve the user reaction time. So you see many
> points to do until I go to the OpenGL optimization point.

actually divide the map into tiles, then just move that grid of tiles around.
as you need NEW tiles (eg as tiles are coming close to the screen viewport),
spawn off a thread to do wander through osm data, render, then present the
results back to the mainloop when ready. mainloop just updates image object
pixel data and presto. if your threads are fast enough they can prepare a tile
before it becomes visible. :)