On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 23:01:16 +0100 Morten Nilsen <mor...@runsafe.no> said:

> On 25/10/14 21:57, Morten Nilsen wrote:
> > I was unable to fix it, so I've replaced the DP link for a HDMI link for
> > now.
> >

> Not so, it seems.. I discovered I am getting the same with the monitor
> connected by HDMI, and I'm all out of DVI ports now.
>
> After some googling, I came across this option;
>
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1,DFP-4"
>
> With this on my Device entry in xorg.conf, screens don't get detected as
> disconnected when I power them off in gnome, but with e, my desktop gets
> messed up when I turn them off.
>
> It seems pretty clear to me that E is doing something wrong here.
>
> If at least my desktops were restored back to how they were before I
> shut off the screens in question, it wouldn't be such a big deal.
> But having to turn screens on and restart e multiple times as well as
> change a setting each time I turn monitors on and off is a big problem.
>
> Is there some way I can tell e to stop messing with monitor layouts?
>
> Hoping I can stop using gnome soon, it's causing me lots of minor
> annoyances :p

btw - why turn them off? just let them blank and auto-sleep? i have nvidia and
never have this problem. even if i press "power" on my monitors to power them
off (on nvidia). i can't see your issue - (i have recently seen new issues with
screen setup dialog on intel though - i wish i had the time to dig in).