On 02/11/14 03:02, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>> VLC uses xdg-screensaver from xdg-utils for this, according to this:
>> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4739
>
> that's a bit silly when there is an actual real x extension protocol for
> exactly this purpose.

I can't comment on the vlc devs decisions, obviously..

Could they maybe have ended up with that solution due to the cross
platform nature of VLC? I would not expect an application that gets used
heavily on windows to take full advantage of X11 protocols..

But looking at the usage for xdg-screensaver, it does sound like a
useful thing. I have no idea how it works though, it certainly doesn't
for me..

> the only thing that might be better is a window hint and
> let the wm control it - then it can change policy based on the state of the
> window (visible or not, fullscreen or not, on current desktop or not - maybe
> only affect no-blank on that particular screen (though not possible in x11with
> dpms etc. - just the blacking out of the screen) etc.)

Sounds good to me, but apparently, a full screen VLC isn't fullscreen..

I do have the "Disable blanking for Fullscreen Windows" setting ticked,
but it does still blank.

Incidentally, it seemed that that E crashed each time it was blanking
earlier today.. I enabled presentation mode to make it stop.

--
Cheers,
Morten