On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 17:29:25 -0800 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:

> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 02:15:28AM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > well i think it's because with gtk3 now the titlebar is also like the menu
> > bar and "toolbar" and so on... this is their ux design direction. it
> > removes as much of the "titlebar" bits as it can without removing actual
> > functionality. it also removes the request to be borderless etc.
>
> So just to be clear, they're going to stop asking E to remove the title
> bar? If so, great.
>
> But either way, E is the most configurable window manager on the planet
> I'm pretty sure, so it should really have a way for me to ignore an app
> with broken directives that work against what I want and need.
>
> Afterall, it's my desktop, not theirs :)
>
> Would you please consider re-allowing control of the menubar/border
> even if the app says otherwise?

also FYI you want to undo fixes to bug reports:

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T1963

so eithr you are unhappy or other people are unhappy.... and

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T1940

where you'll find a screenshot of exactly what will happen if you start having
2 borders. a window that looks totally wrong. 2 titlebars with a shadow area
around the inner area.

you're going to have to convince other people don't like this happening that
being able to have this happen is a good thing. if we allow you to set a border
on borderless windows like gtk ones oyu end up with the above result which is
far worse than gtk3-nocsd.

your issue in the end lies with gtk/gnome and their design choices. as i
mentioned... you won't escape those as time goes on. in wayland it's CSD
anyway. and that's the future everyone is moving towards. you'll find it harder
and harder to fight this, and we will too and it just won't be worth the effort.

i don't see an argument for doing the work to undo fixes to the above issues
and related code when it will result in a far WORSE situation (see screenshot
with double borders and shadow area), than the nocsd preload solution. that's
work to do an EXTRA solution that is worse than the nocsd one, AND it will also
go against bug reports in the past(specifically if you set the border).

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com