It's more likely that you've received a kernel upgrade that's broken
resuming from suspension. I've have the bitter experience of a long line of
integrated Intel GPUs, and they have NEVER been stable resuming from
suspension for me. Since the meltdown / spectre patches landed, that seems
to have gotten worse, but it might just be that Intel broke things for
older GPUs when adding support for newer ones in 4.15 / 4.16. It's a bit of
a stretch to say that this instability resuming from suspension makes your
laptop "not usable for work any more". Anyway, the moral of the story is to
buy quality parts with stable drivers. I guarantee you that I'll never buy
a laptop with an integrated intel GPU ( unfortunately my workplaces keep
giving them to me ). If you want to rage at someone for your instability,
go to intel-...@lists.freedesktop.org and tell them about it ...

Dan