I've never had this kind of problem with Kodi, and I've been using both
Kodi and E for decades, mainly with Intel GPUs, but sometimes with ATI/AMD
ones, like now ( Vega 10 ). I've always built Kodi using Gentoo. Currently:

nanginator ~ # emerge -pv kodi

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-tv/kodi-18.0::gentoo  USE="X alsa bluetooth css dbus
gles mysql opengl pulseaudio samba (system-ffmpeg) systemd udev xslt
zeroconf -airplay -bluray -caps -cec -debug -dvd -gbm -lcms -libressl
-libusb -lirc -mariadb -nfs -test -udisks -upnp -upower -vaapi -vdpau
-wayland -webserver" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

 * IMPORTANT: 2 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

nanginator ~ #

If you're able to run normally in fullscreen, but not windowed, I suspect
it might be a compositing manager thing, as they'll generally disable
compositing for fullscreen windows.

For Intel GPUs, I've always used 'bleeding edge' drivers ( ie mesa from git
) in the hope that later versions have less bugs, less lockups, etc. I also
switched to using Glamor with Intel early on, and this did actually fix
quite a few rendering issues. I think Intel drivers still default to UXA.
Don't use Intel GPUs unless you have to.

For nVidia - you're on your own there :)

Dan