I have gotten the impression, over the last dozen years, that many
facilities that are intended to be helpful for naive users are helpful -
95% of the time. The other 5% of the time they make accomplishing a less
naive task more difficult (or occasionally impossible).

Since ESR installers are presumably not naive, and since ESR is meant
for site-wide deployment, why is this sort of "help" even considered?

What I use to download Firefox ESR is a BASH script which takes the
version number and then downloads all the current language-specific
ESRs (Linux and Windows, 32-bit and 64-bit), plus the SHA512 checksum
files from "https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/";
into a standard place, renaming the files a bit to "clean them up".
Then I run a related script to verify the checksums. (I also do the
equivalent for new Thunderbird versions, although its ESR is no more.)

I can provide these scripts if anyone is interested. (I would imagine
they could serve as models for Windows PowerShell scripts as well.)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 13:43:07 +0300
Timo Pietilä <timo.piet...@helsinki.fi> wrote:

> On 21.9.2016 12:13, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> >
> >
> > Le 21/09/2016 à 11:09, Jaroslav Uher a écrit :
> >> I agree with disabling.
> >>
> >> @Sylvestre
> >> btw it is improperly implemented feature, I am on win XP SP2,
> >> which is supported for Firefox 45 line. Users like me are not able
> >> to simply found and install latest esr release.
> > If I remember correctly, we propose this version because sha-1 is
> > deprecated and 45 cannot be installed directly.
> > The idea is to give you 38 and you will be updated to 45.
> >
> > If the 45 binary works out of the box on XP SP2, we can have the
> > discussion on disabling that (don't hesitate to report a bug about
> > that).
> Point is that it doesn't matter if binary works directly on XP SP2.
> You are downloading a ESR which is intended for corporations and for 
> distribution to large amount of computers.
> I could be downloading windows binary with Linux and that wouldn't
> work for sure. Or I could use my android phone with google drive for
> windows binary. That check in that page is just pointless.
> (added Enterprise@mozilla.org for discussion).
> Timo Pietilä
Enterprise mailing list

To unsubscribe from this list, please visit 
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/enterprise or send an email to 
enterprise-requ...@mozilla.org with a subject of "unsubscribe"

Reply via email to