On 2021-03-01 at 12:05, Mike Kaply wrote:

> I appreciate your feedback and understand.
>
> For situations like this, we recommend the Firefox ESR to avoid
> getting changes like this as they are being implemented.

That doesn't help if the change isn't finished - as in, at least, up to
feature parity with the pre-change version - by the time the ESR version
ships; it just means that you get to spend the entire ESR cycle with the
unfinished version.

> But yeah, we are making changes for change sake to make Firefox
> better and more modern.

That sentence is self-contradictory. If a change is made with the
purpose of making Firefox better and more modern, then that change is
not being made just for change's sake.

(Also, I concur with the other person who pointed out that "better" and
"more modern" do not always come together.)

That being said, I want to be clear:

* Change for change's sake is *bad*, and *should not happen*, *ever*.

* Change to make Firefox more modern (or for any other reason) should be
shipped *when the new form is ready to be a full replacement for what
was there before*, and no sooner - certainly not in order to meet any
arbitrary deadline.

(I'm still salty about the features lost in the Firefox 8* release on
Android, which haven't come back yet, and in most cases as far as I know
show no signs of coming any time soon; some of them probably aren't even
on the road-map, and at least one I suspect is actively intended to
never be brought back at all.)

> There's a major reorganization of all the menus coming.

I look forward to it with dread.

- --
  Andrew J. Buehler