I have nothing specific to say about EOS stuff here but, in general terms, about
using a telephoto as a "telescope:"

I wouldn't waste too much effort on it. I did. A few dollars too. I was able to
neatly and professionally cobble together an adapter that enabled me to use my
800mm f5.6 IF-ED Nikkor with a very high quality Clave 2" o.d. 55mm eyepiece. I
used it precisely once! The views were totally underwhelming when compared to
even the most modest astronomical telescope or spotting scope, or even
binoculars.

Yes, this can be done. It is not WORTH doing though. That's my opinion, as a
photographer, as someone who has actually done it, and, as an amateur astronomer
for 40 years.
--
Terence A. Danks
Nature & Wildlife Photography