On Sep 15, 2008, at 10:21 PM, Jon Zeppieri wrote:

> Don't even get me started on activation 'objects'...

Nor me.

> Mark, didn't you propose eliminating that language from the spec?
> (Yup.  https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-April/
> 006062.html)
>  I'm guessing that's not actually happening for ES3.1.

May be too big a change for 3.1, on the agenda for Harmony.

As Dave Herman has argued, mapping scopes onto objects is a primal
sin in the ES specs. Recasting where possible via lexical bindings,
putting the global object, with, and eval into penalty boxes, both in
real terms for programmers (e.g. "use lexical scope"), and in the
spec by making the bad cases entail exceptional work, seems more than
worth the trouble.

It's "easy" to keep hacking around with objects, maybe trying to
freeze some bindings, but doing so is a temporary evil at best, or
foolish child's-play at worst (if done out of some misguided uber-
minimalism, to avoid reforming the spec language to use lexical scope
normatively).

Guy Steele was editor during much of the ES1 period, and he helped
greatly, but compatibility concerns and time-to-"market" prevented us
from taking his advice on this point. I wish we had, though.