On Jul 19, 2013, at 7:07 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:

> How do we move forward? Unfortunately, I won't make it to the meeting
> next week...

At this point, the spec. is in a state where it is fairly easy to either stick
with symbols as exotic objects or switch to symbols as a primitive type with a
wrapper class.

>From a language design perspective, I think the implications WRT future value
>types is the most important consideration and that is what we need to explore.
>Are we going to have to provide a mechanism for user defined primitive types +
>wrappers if we go that route?

I understand that in V8 you have cross-cutting implementation issues with
symbols as objects.  However there are also likely to be cross-cutting
implementation issues for others relating to adding primitive types. I don't
think either of these implementation perspectives should be the primary
decision criteria.  Instead, we should focus on the conceptual language design
level.  Which path will be better for the language and its users in the long
run.

Allen