Dragon Singer wrote:
>         We will be getting hooked up to the University's LAN in about
> a month or so.  For security reasons I'd like to set up a comp as a
> gateway instead of getting an IP for each comp my family owns.  Will a
> 486 work for this job?   What are the bare requirements for this
> gate.

486 is fine...

 The 486 I'm looking at doesn't have a HD but I  can take the
> 2.4 gig HD (The Linux HD on my current desktop) and swap it in.

You will only need a floppy.  NO HD needed.

  The
> gentleman I'm negotiating with says he'll sell me the box and a NIC
> for $85.00.  Will I need two NIC cards?  one for the ethernet
> connection  into the gate and one to go to the hub?  Any help would be
> appreciated.

$85???  That's a LOT.  a 486 and 2 NICs can be had for less.  $15 each
for brand new NICs.  486s are worthless for the most part.  I can
probably find you one for $25 (no monitor)

$85 include a monitor?

Use coyote for the firewall.  it's really easy to setup and run
if you have a linux box to create the floppy on.

Seth