I have to say that the simplest and probably the most carefree choice would be to go with a linksys  cable/dsl router.  This unit has firewall capabilities, a dhcp client (outside connection), a dhcp server (inside connection) and does NAT. It is web configurable and is a no brainier for simplicity and ease of use. buy.com has them for $150 with a $20 rebate.

Here is the blurb from buy.com:

The Linksys Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Router is the perfect option to connect multiple computers to a high-speed Broadband Internet connection. Configurable as a DHCP server, supports up to 253 users, the EtherFast Cable/DSL Router acts as the only externally recognized Internet device on your local area network (LAN). The router can also be configured to block internal users' access to the Internet. A typical router relies on a hub or a switch to share its Internet connection, but the Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router channels this connection through the blazing, full duplex speed of its built-in EtherFast 10/100 4-Port Switch.

Dragon Singer wrote:

Hello fellows,
I have a few questions for you.
We will be getting hooked up to the University's LAN in about a month or so.  For security reasons I'd like to set up a comp as a gateway instead of getting an IP for each comp my family owns.  Will a 486 work for this job?   What are the bare requirements for this gate.   The 486 I'm looking at doesn't have a HD but I  can take the 2.4 gig HD (The Linux HD on my current desktop) and swap it in.  The gentleman I'm negotiating with says he'll sell me the box and a NIC for $85.00.  Will I need two NIC cards?  one for the ethernet  connection  into the gate and one to go to the hub?  Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely and Respectfully Yours

Wayne & Leader Dog Sequoia

N9PSR FISTS #4409
icq# 315313

Garl R. Grigsby
Customer Applications Engineer
Americas Support Center - Eugene, OR
Team Americas Operations
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation
Hotline 800-242-7372
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 541-342-8277