Cable theft is a primary reason for wireless power transfer. Carrying a cable with you just means you make it easier for someone to steal your copper. Heck, even in my relatively safe suburb I have to worry about my power cords disappearing!

As for efficiency, I've seen plug-to-battery efficiency over 90%, but nothing that has been officially published (yet). This works out better than my 110v plug in! (Yes, if I were to put in a 220v system my efficiency would go up.)

Other factors to take into account:
    * heavy rain
    * snow
    * high heat (e.g. Arizona in summer)
The user is not going to want to spend a lot of time outside the car with the cable, much less touch the darn thing in summer.

As for theft, I'm working hard on ensuring that the communication for the financial side is better than the usual banking cruft (mutual authentication, authenticated certificates, etc). TLS (you might know this as SSL) is already mandated for the money side. Adding in WPA2 for the wifi connection, and it becomes a LOT tougher for someone to spoof your car or charger.

Oh, here's another thing: there is a strong desire to have the EV handle all types of charging - AC, DC and wireless. So if you want to use the cable you can. If you have the wireless pad installed in your garage, you're good to charge. Wireless is just another way to get power into the car.

Cheers!