On Jul 27, 2014, at 12:49 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> % ? Setting the bar higher than what fcvs can do ? %
>
> [ref
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Tesla-CEO-Sez-A-More-Expensive-500mi-EV-could-be-quite-soon-tp4670504.html
> EVLN: Tesla CEO Sez A More Expensive 500mi EV 'could be quite soon'
> ]
>
> I thought why would Tesla make a 500 mi EV? Tesla is smart enough to ignore
> the ignorant media's insanity for more and more range. I thought , there has
> to be a business motivation for even mentioning it.

I don't think that it's the "ignorant media's insanity for more and more
range."  More like *the buyer's* demand for more range and faster charging
times, equivalent to an ICE.

Range is one of the barriers to integrating EVs of all types into the fleet.
Even on this list, it's an issue. This was a similar issue for FCEVs. Why do
you think tank pressures increased? It certainly wasn't cheaper. Or
requirements for fueling times to get station co- funding?  Range and fueling
time are two things that make the consumer think they are getting something
"less" when purchasing an EV of any type. Musk's focus is laser-like here.

> A 500mi pack recharged at level-3 (L3) would reach its 80% point the fastest
> before the charging current would need to be reduced/tapered. So, 80% of
> 500mi is 400mi.
>
> A quick 400mi recharge would let a Tesla EV grab the 7 CARB credits that the
> Automakers and Big-Oil manipulated CARB to have for their fcvs.

Credits is certainly part of it - this has made them money in the past.

(FYI, there was no "manipulation" in setting the CARB numbers. And "Big Oil"
has little interest in FCEVs - have a look at the list of companies that just
received CEC funding for stations. Total number of "Big Oil" companies that
even applied .... zero)

But this seems mostly about customer experience and buyer demand.

> <digress> A 300+ mile recharge in 15 minutes seems a guarantee to continue
> that same ol' energy-wasting-addiction in the U.S.> there definitely isn't
> any planet-saving going-on if everyone still has the ability to burn up huge
> amounts of energy.
> </digress off>

You may be right, but more people will buy them with more range. How much range
do you think is the "right" amount?