This is an interesting point you stated, " One ton of A/C is equal to
12,000 btus/hr. and  3420 btus/hr equals 1000 watts." However, it applies
to direct conversion such as resistance heating, and not to the compressor
operated, gaseous to liquid, state changing, "Heat Pump," as that system,
so widely used, is not converting the electrical energy into heat or cool,
It is moving the heat. (By absorbing head with liquid to gas vaporization.
And releasing heat by compressing the vapor, resulting in a state change to
liquid and subsequently the "heat of vaporization" previously absorbed, is
given off . This "heat-pumping" works for space cooling, as well as
heating. The placard on my home heat pump (a  unit manufactured in 1985)
shows an "EER" (Energy Efficiency Rating) of 13, indicating the BTUs moved
into or out of my home, only require 1/13 of the comparable electrical
energy, as if used to heat the air, and the 3.5 ton only uses 945 watts, to
produce 42,000 btus/hr, (Plus fan motor consumption.) of heating,or
cooling, energy flow. (I agree with you other computations it is only the
conversion of one ton of AC @ 12,000 btus/hr by using the 3420 btus/hr as
cooling electrical energy of 1,000 watts indicating 4.7hp for a one ton
ac being a possible point of confusion to which I object.)

Dennis Lee Miles

(*evprofes...@evprofessor.com <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>)*

* Founder:    **EV Tech. Institute Inc.*

*Phone #* *(863) 944-9913 (12 noon to 12 midnight Eastern US Time)*

*Educating yourself, does not mean you were **stupid; it means, you are
intelligent enough,  **to know, that there is plenty left to learn!*

*          You Tube Video link:  http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss
<http://youtu.be/T-FVjMRVLss> *