Before selecting a A/C unit, a calculation of how much heat gain or lost there
is between a inside surface of a structure and the outside structure.

One ton of A/C is equal to 12,000 bturs.
3420 bturs equal 1000 watts.

The formula is:   bturs = SF x u factor x TD

SF is the square foot area of the exterior surfaces
U is equal to 1/R
TD is the Temperature Difference between the temperature of the outside surface
to the inside surface.

Calculation for a passenger compartment of a vehicle not insulated:

Single pane class is 1 R-Factor
Single panel of sheet metal is 1 R-Factor

Therefore the u-factor is 1/R = 1u.

For heating loss, we use 100 F. degree temperature difference (TD) to maintain
a interior temperature of 70 F. at 30 below 0. or TD = 100

For A/C heat gain, we use a 70 F. degree temperature difference (TD) to
maintain a interior temperature of 70 F. at 140 F ambient or TD = 70

The calculation which I use for my EV:

My SF = 175 SF of the interior passenger
The u-factor would be 1/1 or 1U if not insulated
The TD = 70 F.

Therefore:

Btur's = 175 SF x 1 U-factor x 70 F  TD =  12250 bturs.

One ton of A/C = 12000 btur's

Minimum size of A/C unit will be 12250/12000 = 1.02 ton

Adding insulation which I install two layers of 1 inch soft foam in the door
panels and firewalls.  Insulated the floor with 1 inch of firm DOW blue board
foam with a layer of 1 inch soft foam and carpet.  This reduce the btur's to
about half.

Heating only takes 640 watts at 120 vac 60 hz (continuous ON) at 0 F.  If I
want the heater to cycle, than I switch in another 740 watt heater.  The power
 comes from my rotating inverter/alternator that is rated at 7kw.

Roland