Regen is much more to me than just regaining some range. It is a safety item
that I would use for dynamic braking. Since my physical size is large, I
physically fit better in a larger heavier vehicle (why I chose to have a
S-10 Blazer converted). So, regen would be quite useful to me in a heavier
EV.

Way back when I had press credentials, I was allowed to take production EVs
out for a spin (Honda EV+, Nissan Altra EV, Toyota RAV4-EV-gen1, GM EV1,
+more). Sometimes after signing my life away, a dealership or utility would
let me take an EV to shows and drive it back, so I got to enjoy them for
several hours out of the day.

The amount of regen each production EV I drove had varied because of the
amount allowed by design. Some too little, and others more, but never an
ability to select what I wanted (more than today's driving modes). That is,
until I went to EVS-20
http://brucedp03.150m.com/evs-20/

Where AC Propulsion had a converted VW as a plug-in-hybrid with an easy 60+
mile e-range
http://brucedp03.150m.com/evs-20/IMG_0285.jpg
http://brucedp03.150m.com/evs-20/IMG_0289.jpg

If you expand/zoom-in on the interior focusing on the front tray between the
seats
http://brucedp03.150m.com/evs-20/IMG_0286.jpg
AC Propulsion put a slider control to allow the driver to adjust the amount
of regen on the fly. It was really cool. I could see setting it to maximum
when mountain driving, and to less when creeping in traffic.

One of the advantages of building or having a converter build you an EV, is
you can make the EV fit your needs better. Like a custom build that you do
not have to worry about if you would lose warranty coverage on a production
EV, like if you made modifications on it.

[Sidebar: then again if you have a thick wallet, you can buy a Leaf EV like
the Stanford Student did to take the doors off and make into a high-speed
Electric golf cart.  See
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Doorless-Pratt-Leaf-EV-abandoned-on-city-street-for-months-tp4665972.html
EVLN: Doorless 'Pratt-Leaf' EV abandoned on city street for months

If you look at that news item's images, the owner really was without a care
if the EV got damaged or lost warranty coverage.
]

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

-