From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Peri Hartman
via EV
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:57 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Cargo bike with electric chain.

Interesting thought.  I doubt it since chains have very little
resistance.  I presume you are thinking along the lines of putting a
generator on the crank and then use that to power a motor on the wheel.

What might tip the scale would be to find a way to eliminate the
shifting.  Instead of a shift lever you have a work-level lever.  The
more you "shift" the lever, the harder you have to work - but you would
go faster.

Secondly, you could theoretically charge a battery when coasting and use

that to supplement going uphill.

Again, interesting.  I don't know if I'd like it, personally, though
because I like the direct feeling of movement and pedaling.

Peri